Will Blu-Ray be successful? Or will it take the route of Laserdisc and Betamax?

Face it gram and gramps, Blu-Ray is taking over. Of course it corresponds with economic hardship forcing us to spend money on a High Definition TV and a separate player that could cost up to $1,000. Not to mention the fact that movies are $4 to $10 more. But let me just say, I'm a Blu-Ray supporter, and trust me, it's worth the pricey upgrade. Let me issue right here this is not a rant, more then a look at the pros and cons of Blu-Ray to see if the upgrade is worth it in your opinion.

I upgraded for one reason, to get the most out of my money. I wanted to be able to spend enough, knowing I will get the most. I didn't want to wait for movies to be on Flashdrives or any of that over the top s--- because who knows if it will be in High Def or what. The pros of Blu-Ray are long, some cons maybe in the way, but Ill give opinions of both (otherwise it's you wasting your time reading a "Go Blu-Ray Article".

One pro I will say about Blu-Ray is the fact of you knowing that most of the time your in the best quality capable for that movie. Some movies like Ghostbusters, Wrong Turn, Child's Play, Bruno, and Dog Soldiers are worthless pickups with terrible picture quality to them, so really, keep your Dvd. I would also strongly recommend you do a review search of the movie you want on Blu-Ray. If your gonna spend near $30 on a Blu-Ray with bad PQ, I hope you we're informed.

Most Blu-Rays have tolerable PQ, but some movies like Ghostbusters and Child's Play have a terrible remastering treatment that is inexcusable, and makes ya say "The Dvd was enough." Though for movies like Dog Soldiers, the film was shot with 16mm so it couldn't be that impresses. Which leads me to the question, why make it in the first place if you were gonna do nothing to it? Bruno is a different story. Bruno uses source lighting, and the HD Video is only as good as the lighting is. Plus the fizzy noises it makes for some parts, and the darker it gets, the worse the picture does.

One con about Blu-Ray is is the fact that you have to suffer and spend $30 when you get the Blu-Ray (the main course) and the Digital Copy (an unneeded side dish). I never use the Digital Copy, never have, never will. I dont understand the point of having a High quality copy, and then having a low quality copy made for you iPod. The funny thing is that my Three Disc 70th Anniversary of Pinocchio has the Blu-Ray, a Dvd copy, and features, and the price made out $24.99 (a typical Blu-Ray price). So your telling me that the price remains when including something you might use, and goes up about five dollars towards something you might never use? That makes sense....not really.

Another pro about Blu-Ray is seeing as this is a crisis, Blu-Rays, Tvs, and players have all been lowered trying to convince people to upgrade. The convincing as been successful seeing as Blu-Ray is up 88% since decreasing. Companies like Brink Dvd and Troma are now remastering the hell out of low budget titles and getting them prepared for Blu-Ray. Black and White Blu-Rays are good too. Clerks looks phenomenal on Blu-Ray, as well as hearing other people say some older movies are worthwhile for an upgrade.

After discussing all of the pros, cons, and jazz about Blu-Rays. I think it's time to go into the format war of the decade, Blu-Ray vs HD Dvd, also dubbed Sony vs Toshiba. We knew one had to go.Our last format war was Vhs vs Dvd, preceded by Laserdisc vs Dvd, which was preceded by Betamax vs Vhs. It's like a football game, beat the other team then go to the Super Bowl (Vhs vs Dvd) and see who wins. Of course Blu-Ray beat out HD Dvd. I really didn't see why because both are almost identical. The disappointing thing was though that big budget blockbusters like Cloverfield just released on Dvd because they didn't know if Blu-Ray or HD Dvd was the way of the future. Eventually Cloverfield was released to Blu-Ray.

In summation, Blu-Ray is a great thing in my opinion. It proves that we are getting the most for our money. Being a technology geek, I had to upgrade for the point of saying I'm current. I would of upgraded if I had a 7" Analog in all honesty. The moral is if your short on green, I would hold out, Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere for a long time. But if you got the money, wanna see your favorites in clear cut, Blu-Ray, high definition goodness, I would pick it up.

Comments