Certified Junior: A recollection of my first half of high school and the second one I'm about to endure

"It's halftime...and our second half is about to begin." - Clint Eastwood.

As of today, I'm officially a Junior in high school. I've gone through two Homecomings, two Turnabout dances, taken twenty-four exams, hundreds of tests and quizzes, as well as online tasks, homework assignments, and have passed both years with very impressive grades, making honor roll seven out of eight consecutive times. I'm not saying this qualifies for a record book entry, as it is more of a reminder for me what I have completed since September 2010.

I entered high school with very low expectations. I go to a very prestigious, respected high school in suburbia in Illinois, and have been nothing but satisfied with the overall appearance and opportunities at the school. Granted I'm not in any clubs, but the staff is wonderful, the atmosphere is engaging, and the people, for the most part, are diligent and capable. At the time, of course, I knew nothing of this, so my outlook was reduced to "stay under the radar." After about a month or so, that plan was out the window. I was more sociable, and overtime, I became more socially comfortable than I could possibly imagine. Even this year I see myself taking a lot more risks and going the extra mile; things I neglected to do in my three years in middle school.

Freshman year was a healthy exercise in adjustment. New school, new people (many people I went to middle school with, including people I've known for an upwards of eight or nine years went to a whole different high school and only about fifty came to my high school), new classes, curriculum, and requirements. I was in for a lot, on top of juggling family issues that I refuse to go into. The first six months were rough. I was thrown into an environment where I didn't know anyone, and it was back to square one. Like the first day of Kindergarten, where you're completely lost and wandering in the forest of uncertainty.

But I pushed on, as did many others. I mixed, mingled, and even promoted my reviews to students. That wasn't one of my goals, but I found that point inevitably coming up when asked "what do I like to do?" Now, it's my go-to answer when asked that. I avoid saying things like "I like to watch movies" and go straight to "I'm an aspiring film critic, so I spend a lot of my time writing for my website." What I found was I had more luck talking to teachers than to students, because, let's be honest, writing isn't the number one thing kids are into these days. Teachers began to really believe in me as a writer; something I can't thank them enough for.

When Freshman year ended, I was relieved. I needed a summer break to just sit down and think "what just happened?" as well as catch up on some much needed movies. I went on to watch 107 films during the summer of 2011, and not long after, I began the journey into Sophomore year.

Sophomore year started out a helluva lot better than Freshman year, as expected. I wasn't directionally confused, socially awkward, or as nervous as I was when Freshman year began. I was more confident. People knew me by name, I knew them, and I even had teachers recommending me to other teachers (how I got started on the school newspaper so early, as a Freshman). I met a lot more people Sophomore year, took even bolder risks, and became way higher up on the food chain I ever expected.

I'm in no way labeling myself a popular soul, but found that I didn't have to initiate conversations about my reviews any longer, but people were asking me "have I seen this?", "what did I think of it?", "how many movies have I seen?", etc. I'm not even mad or annoyed in the slightest; hey, it's my unpaid job to review movies. Another thing that I found myself doing, which I did minimally in eight grade and Freshman year, was asking teachers if I could read my review in class. Freshman year, I wound up reading two reviews in my English class, both Forrest Gump and Speak, respectively (eight grade I read my mediocre review on The Outsiders), and I noticed people were less than impressed. I didn't get any applause, any compliments, or any true form of acknowledgement. It was just another thing people had to listen to in class, only it was coming from a student.

Did it hurt? A tad, but I overcame it. I questioned if it was me, but the teacher seemed to be very pleased with my work. I knew I was doing something right, but thought I needed to just keep on keeping on and good things would come. Sure enough, Sophomore year, I'm proud to say I read seven reviews this year. They were 50/50 in Health, Fall From Grace in History, Malcolm X in History, Gangs of New York in History, Gung Ho in Business, Of Mice and Men in English, and Lord of the Flies in English, all welcomed with wholesome, honest applause and compliments. Something I couldn't thank people enough for. As of today, I have read ten of my six hundred reviews aloud.

There was too a landmark moment Sophomore year; my business cards. At the end of April, I contemplated making business cards to hand out to teachers, students, adults, and family members to promote my reviews. The concept was simple, but a lot harder to achieve than I thought. I found an online website that would allow you to design and print your own business cards for free, but the result was bland, uninspired, and a tad unprofessional. Luckily, my dad, with his many connections, talked to one of his friends, a graphic designer, who constructed a beautiful template with a film reel, a movie ticket, along with all my links, email, and even a surprise logo on the back on beautiful, glossy stock. This was astounding; not only a fifteen year old with a business card but a fifteen year old with an official business card. Handing them out to people was the best part. Their reactions were mostly priceless, and in one single period, I passed out more than ten in a "gotta have 'em" fashion thanks to many people's reactions. The final month of Sophomore year was definitely the best.

That brings me to where I currently am now, at home, relaxing, exhaling stress from Sophomore year and complications, to now enjoy a, hopefully wonderful, summer break until August 23rd. It has been an odyssey, but it is far from complete. I still have two more years to get through. With my schedule for next year in hand with classes such as Trigonometry, Physics, Pschycology, Sociology, Consumer Education, Marketing, and Driver's Ed on my plate, not to mention the ACT test in April, I can tell right now this will be my hardest year. Without question. Senior year, it's all about business and journalism; the fields I want to get into.

What's the message of this post? Nothing I can think of. It's a personal diary and a healthy recollection for my fans, followers, and fellow classmates. It's something I felt I needed to get off my chest. I thank each and everyone of you for the support you've given me over my three year career as a writer. Just by reading one review or even hearing me read one aloud, you're supporting me. Journalism is a difficult field to get into, and I'm worried about my options after College. How will I put bread on the table? Let's save that for another post. For now, I'm just a certified Junior.

Comments

  1. This was very well written. I feel the same way about being more social and just being friends with everybody. Again Steve well written, and you're right, Junior year is anything but easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm.... Just call me Nostradamus. These are some real insights here, Steve. Congratulations on making it this far. As I said, the high school years will fly by and they have. You remember me telling you that high school wasn't designed for the creative? That's college. And that's where you'll shine! Shine on, little brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me a while to respond, Brian. Really happy you liked it. You're a huge influence on me and I listen to you like an older brother. Be good, brother.

      Delete

Post a Comment