Aly Woo: Part two of Aly Woo's original blog


STEVE PULASKI'S FOREWORD: Aly Woo is one of the brightest women I came to know in high school, though we met in our senior year, and when I discovered she was an avid blogger, I knew I wanted one of her pieces for my website. Much like me, she's wise beyond her years, and wise on human behavior, though she's much quieter and humble than I am. Her style of writing, in a addition, replicates her demeanor; playfully sarcastic and sassy but thoroughly lovable all while being an amiable presence. This blog solidifies her ability to capture the essence of people and human relations even if she doesn't know the specifics of people. It's a privilege to have one of her pieces on my blog.

NOTE: Before reading this piece, read the first part of this blog on Aly's own Blogspot, http://findinglife11.blogspot.com/2015/07/pt-1.html


[....]

It is the first day of my second year of college. I'm writing this now-an hour before my second class because I know that soon my social life and hobbies will just be sucked out of my life by the great thing we call homework. But, I don't care to think about the frying that my brain is going through- after-all, I am not the only one.

I am not quite sure what my part two was supposed to cover, but that is what I love about writing as a hobby, you just take things as they come. That is how I am kind of taking life right now so that is how part two is going to be approached. If you have not read Part 1 yet, well no worries. You are only missing a great piece of written work done by the one and only me.

Five minutes have gone by and I feel as if I am filling this page with empty words. I'll set the scene for you so you can see what I see-and go from there. I am sitting in a student common area. It is small, smells like cheap plastic and well I am pretty sure my grandma could have decorated it better, but that's not the point. There are six people here (I counted them without making it obvious-GO ME) and every.single.one of them are on their phones. Not one book. Given it's the first day of school and there is probably not much else to do, but damn people explore your options. Our generation is so sucked up by social media and what we missed during our one hour class that nothing else matter. AKA human interaction.

Now I am not one for human interaction, I actually prefer to keep to myself until someone approaches me, but if I need to make a conversation I will. A conversation works both ways, so if no one is talking to you, then this is where you put on your "I'm actually kind of a good person because I picked up some dog poop that wasn't my dogs poop" face on and initiate. So that's what I did. You can say I successfully failed because these peers of mine look at me like I have big pores or something (I assure you I don't). Life kind of screws you over like that. You try to be nice and make new friends, ya know, step out of the comfort zone a little bit, but then a huge gust of wind knocks you right back in that bubble of yours. I don't blame anyone for giving up-but that's not me and it shouldn't be you either. Who likes someone who gives up?

I've learned from my 3 hours here that my experience is all what I make it. Yeah maybe I have one class on the complete other side of campus as the other (might I add I only have ten minutes to conquer that journey) but I learned that it's okay to ask for help, and it's okay to be lost because not everyone is following a schedule that is going to be successful the first time around. If I never master this, then I guess I am OK with that. Some things are meant to be a challenge-whether that is talking to people or finding your way through a huge place but you can't blame yourself, some things are just the way they are. However, keeping an open mind and positive energy is key.

"Narcissistic personalities are created and sustained. No one is born a narcissist. It is a habitual choice to be selfish and to lack empathy for other people. Never forget that is a choice." - Shannon Thomas

-A

Comments