"Cheap Beer, Rich Thoughts: A Novel:" Moving forward on my first novel


For as long as I can remember, I've been the victim to my own anxiousness and tendency to get over-excited on a frequent basis. I also find myself overly eager to get things out to you, the loyal friend, the reader, or the listener, depending on how you digest my wealth of content. Perhaps you know me in person and we mingle on a regular basis where I expound upon my work and what I do. Perhaps you know my content strictly through the written word, or predominately through my plethora of YouTube videos. Or maybe you just hear me ramble on my radio show. Either way, your ongoing support means more than you'll ever know.

I mention this because my next project is not a fourth mixtape or even another new website, but it's one that will take more time, patience, and precision than I'm used to. I informally announced it in the blog I wrote about leaving my job at a liquor store, but now it's time to give the project a more formal introduction as well as the most clear path of release and distribution that I can give at this time.

The project is my first novel, titled Cheap Beer, Rich Thoughts: A Novel. It will be written in past-tense first-person and chronicle my four years working at a liquor store. I'm still in the early stages of outlining but I have a few pages written already. I'm going for noteworthy rather than comprehensive, intent on providing insight into a segment of retail that's socially sanctioned, entirely legal, but desperately swept under the rug when it comes to humanization.

It will be personal, with a lot of intimate self-reflections, for it's set from my senior year of high school to my junior year of college. It will also be broader, looking at a handful of customers and following them through the information I got and saw from them at the given point in the story. It will often be vulgar, it will be a tad stream-of-consciousness, and it won't necessarily flow like much of my writing or prose. All of this and more is why I feel it should be committed to something bigger than a blog-post, a video essay, or any other form of communicative and easily digestible media.

The length is uncertain. It might be 115 pages. It could very well be more. It will be worth the money I charge for it, and it will likely mark the first time any writing work I do will see me compensated. I have yet to make a dime off of my reviews or really anything I do outside of freelance work or radio. I am also strongly considering making it available for Kindle and other e-Readers. This is something I want people to read, laugh with, enjoy, and learn from.

As always, you can count on me for further details and updates in due time. I'm not rushing anything, however, and don't see taking any serious time off from my reviews or my radio show to devote to the book. It's the kind of project I foresee chunking, writing a little or a lot here and there and then coming back to edit at a later time. I'd like to have it out by 2019 and have confidence I will. The publishing route I am mostly committed to is Createspace, which prides itself on being linear and unambiguous, supplying you with all the editing and formatting tools on top of paperback bound bulk pricing at a very affordable rate. Nickelodeon actually used the commercial service to publish seasons and volumes of some of their older TV shows, such as Rugrats and Rocko's Modern Life, on DVD using the site's "burn on demand" program.

I'll have another update as soon as I progress forward. This is an incredibly exciting new chapter for me following my forte into music that I cannot wait to share with all of you. As you might expect, I have promotional plans and a lot of forthcoming little bonuses to some special people, but that, again, is for another date.

Cheap Beer, Rich Thoughts: A Novel - Coming in due time.

Comments